News Summary: April 2020
Our officers continue to be caught in the crossfire of politicians. As laws change rapidly at local, state, and federal levels in the midst of the crisis, officers are left floundering and must sift through the laws to determine what they must enforce. ICE continues to keep communities safe, even as the media continues to demonize them. Pro-police legislators are fighting for better legal protections for police officers during the pandemic, including hazard pay and LODD designation for COVID-19. Red flag laws and oversight boards also continue to put unnecessary strain on law enforcement.
If you are in an area that is considering civilian oversight boards or red flag laws, contact your representatives and demand that they say no to passing these biased and harmful laws. Support your local sheriff department and other law enforcement officers as they navigate ever-changing legislation, and show your support on social media.
- Wis. sheriff will not enforce stay-at-home order, says it will have ‘dire lifetime consequences’
- Convicted rapist on ICE’s Most Wanted list captured in California
- Pa. legislator introduces hazard pay bill for LE, first responders
- Budget includes “Red Flag Law” and other gun control measures
- ICE Dallas arrests Salvadoran gang member wanted for capital murder
- Colorado Inmate Red Flags Sheriff
- NYC Council’s coronavirus relief bill could put city sheriffs in jail